Health and safety

It is a good idea to find out how best to ensure health and safety during travel and what rights Icelanders have as regards healthcare services in other countries.

Health and safety when travelling abroad

Health and insurance

  • Inoculations against diseases that are endemic in some countries are often necessary. Some inoculations must be done in good time.
  • Those who, due to illness, must have with them medicinal products that contain habit forming or narcotic substances must have a special certificate when travelling between Schengen countries. Such certificates are issued by doctors and confirmed by the Medical Director of Health.
  • The European health insurance card ensures the right to a certain level of healthcare services when travelling in EEA countries and Switzerland. Icelandic citizens and the citizens of other EEA countries who are residents and who are insured in Iceland, can obtain the card form The Social Insurance Administration. 
  • Travellers in countries outside the EEA area generally need to pay in full for medical assistance although applications for the refund medical costs may be sent to the Social Insurance Administration (TR) on arrival back in Iceland. It is advisable to have an insurance statement from the Social Insurance Administration (TR) when travelling to these countries.
  • Social insurance does not pay for travel home due to serious illness or death.
  • Insurance companies offer travel insurance that insures more aspects than Icelandic sickness insurance and provide access to emergency services or an emergency number that may be called.
  • When travelling to other countries using one's own car it is necessary to have an international insurance card, a green card. The card is a confirmation of the car's liability insurance that is valid in the EEA countries as well as several other countries.


  • If an Icelander travelling abroad has an emergency, he can seek the assistance of Icelandic embassies and consulates, as well as the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
  • Travellers are advised against travelling to countries where their safety may be threatened by warfare, political conditions or other such issues.
  • All countries within the European Union and various other European countries have the emergency number 112. 

Links of interest